Give Dad a unique gift made by yours truly without breaking the bank! Here I show you how to make cute bow ties for Dad and also for kids in under 20 minutes. Include the whole family in this fun project and amaze dad.
- ¼ yard cotton fabric
- ¼ yard interfacing or felt
- ½ yard of 3/4” wide ribbon
- pins, thread
- hand sewing needle and safety pin
- 2" piece of velcro
- ruler and pencil
- sewing machine
1. You can draw on the fabric or make separates pattern pieces. You will need a rectangle of 5” x 8” for the adult size (4” x 7” for the kid size). Cut 2 pieces of this pattern in fabric and one in armor. For the tie, cut a rectangle of 2” x 6” (all sizes).
2. With right sides together, pin the 2 fabric pieces. Place the armor on the bottom. (Fig.1)
3. Sew around the 3 layers, 1/2" from the border, leaving a 2" opening to turn. Fold the tie piece in half and sew, leaving a ¼” seam allowance. (Fig. 2)
4. Turn both pieces inside out. For the tie part, use a safety pin to help turn it. Iron them. (Fig. 3)
5. Fold the bow in half, and the fold both sides in the opposite direction. Pin the tie on the inside, pulling it taught and discarding the excess. Hand sew the tie in place, making sure you don't pin the bow. (Fig. 4)
6. Cut a piece of ribbon 3" longer than the neck measurement. Sew the velcro on both ends making sure that when you close it you make a cylinder. If the velcro is wider than the ribbon you can cut it. (Fig. 5)
7. Slide the ribbon on the back of the bow. You can also layer 2 bows and pin them with one tie to get a doble bow tie!